About the Program
Sustainable Tourism is delivered by GreenStep Solutions, an award winning sustainability consulting firm and Certified B Corporation established in 2008. GreenStep has helped over 3,000 businesses to measure and improve their sustainability performance. Sustainable Tourism provides globally-recognized assessment and certification programs for tourism businesses, operators, and destinations.
With programs that include the Free Sustainability Score, Sustainable Tourism 2030 Pledge along with low-cost sustainability assessments, GreenStep Sustainable Tourism aims to help support small and medium-sized tourism organizations to either get started on or to make continual improvement towards their sustainability goals.
- GreenStep Sustainable Tourism criteria is recognized by the Global Sustainable Tourism Council (GSTC) and aligned with the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- GreenStep Sustainable Tourism is the only North American-based Certification provider of GSTC-recognized standards for all sectors within the Tourism industry and for Destinations.
- GreenStep Sustainable Tourism has Certified hundreds of Canadian businesses, across all sectors of the industry, including tour operators, accommodation and transportation providers, breweries, wineries and restaurants.
How It Works
A minimum score of 35% is required to achieve a Bronze Certification. Other grading levels include Silver, Gold and Platinum.
Marketing Benefits for Bronze, Silver, Gold & Platinum Members
- Internationally-recognized measurement and recognition of your sustainability initiatives, to be used for marketing purposes or to help distinguish yourself in your community and to your guests.
- Opportunity for your sustainability initiatives to be featured on GreenStep social media platforms, monthly newsletters as well as Member Spotlights, to be used on your social channels.
- Searchable listings (if a signatory) on Sustainable Tourism 2030, or as a member or partner on GreenStep Sustainable Tourism and goodtraveller.net with your company details and a backlink to your website, valuable to your SEO and Google ranking.
- Identification as a travel sustainable property to guests on booking platforms, when applicable.
- A one-on-one assessment with a sustainability expert with data and insight on how you perform across aspects of management, social and economic, natural and cultural and environmental sustainability.
- Depending on the Sustainable Tourism program of choice, a custom built action plan and additional planning and implementation tools for improving your sustainability performance and saving money.
- Discounted annual subscription to our web-based carbon calculator, where you can measure your carbon footprint based on international standards.
- Member support, follow-up and ongoing communication to ensure continual progress and improvement
- A library of industry specific resources, including blogs and articles, program guidebooks, marketing toolkits, educational webinars and workshops, customized consulting packages and other services
- Connections and opportunities for learning and sharing from other Sustainable Tourism members and partners who can help you on your sustainable journey.
TIAO & GreenStep Sustainable Tourism
TIAO has partnered with Sustainable Tourism to deliver sustainable tourism certification programs to businesses in Ontario. As the exclusive purveyor of Sustainable Tourism certification in the province, TIAO is able to offer affiliate Sustainable Tourism memberships, including preferred rates for TIAO Members.
Building a Beautiful Business in a Sustainable World
Ten Ways to Reduce the Carbon Footprint of Your Tourism Business
5 Green Goals to Kick Off The New Year
Top 12 Ways to Save Energy in your Tourism Business
GreenStep Solutions Launches First Canadian Single-Use Plastic Free Certification Program
How to engage guests and visitors on your sustainability journey
Measuring Sustainability: The State of the Canadian Tourism Industry